Sunday 1 June 2008

Queen - May To Buy Beleaguered Radio Station

QUEEN star BRIAN MAY is in talks to buy a British radio station to save it from closure.

Digital station Planet Rock is facing being shut down unless its parent company GCap Media finds a suitable buyer by the end of May (08).

And the legendary guitarist was so saddened by the prospect of seeing the rock music station disappear, he is launching his own bid to keep it open.

He says, "(I am) mounting a rescue operation to save the station. I can't tell you who I am 'in league' with, but I am part of a small group of people who have great hopes that we will succeed in taking over the station, and putting it on a firm footing, for the benefit of its growing audience.

"DAB (digital) radio has had a brave start, and can provide freedom from domination by commercially minded programming, but it might, at this point, slip between the cracks.

"I believe this cause is worth supporting... and will be doing my best to put my money and expertise where my mouth is! We hope to be able to make an announcement soon."




See Also